Santa’s Favorite Cookie Recipe
What keeps Santa Clause in the ho ho holiday spirit? Is it the excitement of delivering billions of presents? The fun of gliding through the sky with his sleigh and reindeer? What keeps Santa going during the holiday season year in and year out? His favorite–chewy and delicious–gingerbread cookies.
- 1 Cup plus 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1 Large egg
- ¼ Cup plus 2 Tbsp molasses, light or dark
- 1 Cup packed brown sugar
- 2 ½ Cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp ground cloves
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ⅔ Cup granulated sugar
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- In a large mixing bowl, beat brown sugar and softened butter using an electric mixer on medium speed. Beat until light and fluffy (roughly five or six minutes).
- Beat in egg and molasses. Add remaining ingredients, leaving out the granulated sugar.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least two hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Place granulated sugar in a small mixing bowl.
- Shape cookie dough into 1-inch balls and roll in the sugar, thoroughly coating the dough. Then place balls of dough on a cooking sheet, leaving two inches of space in between.
- Bake eight to ten minutes. Cool for two to three minutes; remove cookies from pan and place on cooling rack and voila! Pairs well with milk!